Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Blake's story




Preface:
Facebook entry for March 30, 2010.
Susan Roark Photography I'm out the door for a photoshoot. I just hope I can keep from crying.


THE STORY

What photographer cries at a photoshoot? I have, many times, especially at weddings. I feel the love and joy that the couple is feeling and my emotions overtake me. Those are always happy tears and those are the best kind. Tears of joy, tears of love, tears of a new life beginning. A new home, a new family, the never ending circle.


My tears for Blake were different. They were tears of despair, worry, and dread.

Blake is only 10 years old. I met Blake and his siblings (Megan and Josh) two years ago and fell completely in love with them. They are the sweetest children, so mannerly and well-behaved.



Blake always calls me Miss Susan. When I first met him, I told him that when he grew up, we could get married and he said "ok". I didn't want to burst his bubble and tell him I was already married, but I'm sure he was playing me harder than I was playing him. The little stinker!



A few weeks ago, Blake developed a pain in his upper leg. The pain was worse at times, but always persistent. Blake's grandparents took him to the doctor for tests. I'm not sure of all the details, but a biopsy was done and it was determined that Blake has a cancerous tumor.

Blake's medical team wasted no time in preparing for the treatment of this tumor. The doctors plan to fight this tumor "aggressively". Blake will have to take chemotherapy treatments and spend a lot of time in the hospital.

I had a chance to talk to Blake about his tumor. Does it hurt (the tumor), are you scared, did your Grandma cry? These were all questions that I asked a 10 year old boy. He answered each one and if he were 21. Such a little man! After our conversation, I was thankful for the sunshine and thankful for the sunglasses that hid my tears from this precious little boy. He seemed so strong, I didn't want him to see me weak.



Yesterday was Blake's last day of school for a while. He will be out of school for the next 10 months, and maybe longer. His friends and teachers showered him with love, hugs, and wishes for a speedy recovery.

I am going to follow Blake's progress closely. I am going to be his prayer warrior. I am going to pray every day that Jesus wrap his loving arms around Blake and take the pain from him, pray that the chemo doesn't make him sick, pray he doesn't lose his hair, and most of all, pray that the tumor will be completely abolished never to return again.



I called Blake's grandma and told her I would like to take a few photographs before Blake started his treatment. She was more than willing for me to visit at their home and spend an hour just walking, talking, and taking photographs. I want Blake to choose a photo of his choice to keep with him during his treatments and stays in the hospital. I want him to know that his family is there for him........supporting him and loving him.



I'll be there also Blake, if only in spirit. I love you my little friend!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Susan. How powerful. I will join your prayer team and pray for Blake. Such a precious little fellow!!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing you have don Suz:) Brought tears to my eyes, just imaging the bravery of a 10 year old boy. Send my prayers along as well

Jennifer said...

Wow. That is so sad. It's really hard to see people having to go through things like this, especially children. I will be praying for Blake and for a complete recovery.

jada said...

Susan what a gift you have given this family. Prayers are with them all.

Janice said...

I too want to be a prayer warrior for Blake! There is NO better medicine than that of prayer! Send many hugs-n-kisses his way.

Anonymous said...

Susan:
Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures of Blake and his family and for sharing his message! Teresa Goodman

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift to give Blake and his family. The jewels are waiting for you in Haven.
God Bless Blake and his family!!!
Thank you for sharing these precious pictures.